10 Patients Dead In Massive Fire at Vijayawada Covid-19 Care Facility
By FnF Correspondent | PUBLISHED: 09, Aug 2020, 12:19 pm IST | UPDATED: 09, Aug 2020, 12:19 pm IST
Delhi: Ten people have died after a fire broke out at a private hotel that was being used as a makeshift Covid-19 facility in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. The incident occurred early on Sunday morning at Hotel Swarna Palace in the city, which was being used by Ramesh Hospital as the COVID Care Centre, said Police Commissioner B Srinivasulu. Nearly 20 people were rescued from the facility and rushed to a nearby hospital.ALSO READ|Punjab Police Raid Another Spurious Liquor Module; Arrest 2, Trace Regular BuyersThere were reportedly up to 40 people, 30 patients, and 10 hospital staff, in the hotel at the time of the accident. Fires initially broke out on the ground and first floors. However, smoke spread to the other floors as well.
Victims screamed through the windows, struggling to breathe due to the thick smoke. Four people jumped down from the first floor. Police and firefighters broke windowpanes and rescued several others with the help of a ladder.CM Jagan announces Rs 50 lakh ex-gratia
Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has ordered an inquiry and told authorities to ensure the patients receive proper medical treatment.
Reddy announced an ex-gratia of Rs 50 lakh to the kin of the deceased and ordered an in-depth probe into the mishap. He directed officials to take up rescue measures and admit the injured into nearby hospitals.
Taking note of the incident, Minister of State for Home affairs G Kishan Reddy said that teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have also joined the rescue operations. "Shocked and distressed by the news of fire at a Covid centre in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. NDRF teams have joined the local authorities in relief operations. Prayers for the families of the bereaved and safety of others," he said.PM Modi Expressed Grief Over The Incident
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed anguish at the death of patients in a fire incident at a COVID facility in Andhra Pradesh's Vijaywada on Sunday. He said he discussed the incident with state chief minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy and assured all possible help.