Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Arjuna Awards for 2012 announced
By FnF Correspondent
PUBLISHED: Aug 20, 2012, 12:20 pm IST | UPDATED: Aug 20, 2012, 12:45 pm
Keywords: Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award Arjuna Awards Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2012 Arjuna Awards 2012 Winners list Rajya Vardhan Singh Rathore
New Delhi: The Government has announced the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Arjuna Awards for the year 2012.
A large number of nominations were received for these awards this year, which were considered by Selection Committee consisting of eminent sportspersons and sports administrators; headed by Col Rajya Vardhan Singh Rathore. Based on the recommendations of the Committee and after due scrutiny, the Government has approved to confer awards upon the following sportspersons.
A. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award - 2012:
1. Shri Vijay Kumar, Shooting
2. Shri Yogeshwar Dutt, Wrestling
B. Arjuna Awards 2012:
Sl. No., Name, Discipline
1. Ms. Deepika Kumari, Archery
2. Ms. Laishram Bombayla Devi, Archery
3. Ms. Sudha Singh, Athletics
4. Ms. Kavita Ramdas Raut, Athletics
5. Ms. Ashwani Ponnappa, Badminton
6. Mr. Parupalli Kashyap, Badminton
7. Mr. Aditya S. Mehta, Billiards & Snooker
8. Mr. Vikas Krishan, Boxing
9. Mr. Yuvraj Singh, Cricket
10. Mr. Sardar Singh, Hockey
11. Mr. Yashpal Solanki, Judo
12. Mr. Anup Kumar, Kabaddi
13. Mr. Samir Suhag, Polo
14. Ms. Annu Raj Singh, Shooting
15. Mr. Omkar Singh, Shooting
16. Mr. Joydeep Karmakar, Shooting
17. Ms. Deepika Pallikal, Squash
18. Mr. Sandeep Sejwal, Swimming
19. Ms. Ng. Sonia Chanu, Weightlifting
20. Mr. Narsingh Yadav, Wrestling
21. Mr. Rajinder Kumar, Wrestling
22. Ms. Geeta Phogat, Wrestling
23. Mr. M. Bimoljit Singh, Wushu
24. Mrs. Deepa Mallick, Athletics – Paralympics
25. Mr. Ramkaran Singh, Athletics – Paralympics
Normally only one award of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna is given every year to an individual sportsperson. However, the Scheme provides that this condition can be relaxed in exceptional circumstances viz., winning of an Olympic medal. Like wise for the Arjuna Awards, normally not more than 15 awards are to be given in any calendar year.
However, the Scheme of Arjuna Awards also provides that keeping in view the performance of Indian sportspersons in the Commonwealth, Asian Games and Olympic Games during a particular year, Arjuna Awards exceeding 15 in number may be allowed with proper justification and approval of the Minister for Youth Affairs & Sports.
The Selection Committee noted that 2012 is the Olympic year and India has won 6 medals in the London Olympics, which is country’s best performance in Olympic Games, and recommended that the condition of one award in case of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and 15 awards in case of Arjuna Awards may be relaxed and the number of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award may be increased from 1 (one) to 2 (two) and Arjun Awards may be increased from 15 (fifteen) to 25 (twenty five).
National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for spectacular performance in the year under consideration; Arjuna Award is given for consistently outstanding performance for three consecutive years preceding the year of award.
Apart from a medal and a citation, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardees will receive a cash prize of Rs.7.5 lakh each and Arjuna Awardees will receive statuettes, citations and cash prize of Rs.5 lakh each.
The awardees will receive their awards from His Excellency the President of India at a specially organized function at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on August 29, 2012.